Prof. Robin O’Sullivan
Professor of Anatomy
Tel: 17351450 Ext: 2260
Robin O’Sullivan graduated from University College Cork with BDS (1971), MB BCh BAO (1976), and went on to gain an MSc (1980) and PhD (1988) in Neuroscience. His professional qualifications and honours include FICD (1987), FPFA (1988), FFDRCSI (1998), FACD (1999), FDSRCSEng (2000) and FHEA (2003). He previously taught at University College Cork (1978-2004) and at the University of Kuwait (2005). He is author of 30 peer-reviewed papers and numerous shorter contributions to the literature, and has successfully supervised the research theses of fourteen postgraduate students. He served on various committees of the International Association for Dental Research (1982-2001), Royal Academy of Medicine in Ireland (1985-91), Irish Health Research Board (1992-99) and the Pierre Fauchard Academy (1996-2004). He also served on the editorial boards of a number of international journals, and as an evaluator and project reviewer in the Brain Research Area of the European Union BIOMED2 programme (1995-98).
Current Research Interests
Mammalian tooth enamel
1. Lynch, C.D, O'Sullivan, V.R., Dockery, P., McGillycuddy, C.T. and Sloan, A.J. (2010) Hunter-Schreger band patterns in human tooth enamel. Journal of Anatomy 217:106-115.
2. Lynch, C.D., McGillycuddy, C.T., O'Sullivan, V.R., and Sloan, A.J. (2010) Gabriel-Philippe de la Hire and the discovery of Hunter-Schreger bands. British Dental Journal 209:461-465.
3. Lynch, C.D., Ziada, H.M., Buckley, L.A., O’Sullivan, V.R., Aherne, T. and Aherne, S. (2009) Prosthodontic rehabilitation of hypophosphatasia using dental implants: a review of the literature and two case reports. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 36:462-468.
4. Lynch, C.D., O’Sullivan, V.R. and McGillycuddy, C.T. (2006) Pierre Fauchard: the Father of Modern Dentistry. British Dental Journal, 201:779-781.
5. O'Sullivan, V.R. (2004) How can the limitations of an atrophic mandibular denture-bearing area be overcome when making a definitive impression for a complete lower denture? Journal of the Canadian Dental Association, 70:532-533.