The inauguration of the Baccalaureate of Science in Nursing at RCSI Bahrain in September 2006 was preceded by careful faculty study. This innovative programme is the right step forward for the development of a nursing career in the Kingdom of Bahrain, the GCC and the region.
Nursing education programme today must graduate competent, caring, knowledgeable, and accountable nurses, those who practice nursing with passion and confidence. The faculty of SON & M is committed to meeting this challenge.
The immediate aim of the programme is to provide the students who will graduate with the appropriate knowledge, attitudes and skills in nursing and health related sciences. The programme will also provide opportunities for continued personal and professional academic growth and development.
The ultimate aim however is to graduate significant numbers of competent nurses to provide safe, high quality care to the community within the health care system.
The principles underpinning the BSc Nursing programme include:
- Adult learning is valued. It is the process through which learners reflect on and utilize significant professional and life experiences as significant sources of learning.
- The teaching-learning models are learner centered and encourage integration, critical thinking, creativity and innovation as the bases for becoming agents, of change.
- The programme is community oriented and is consistence with the operation of the health services in the GCC countries and the region generally.
- Systematic assessment and analysis of relevant client, family and community health needs and the application of quality clinical care are based on evidence obtained from research finding.
- Human integrity, respect, accountability, responsibility, partnership, compassion and competence.
- Performance of teachers and learners adhere to humanistic and cultural values.
- Individuals, families and communities are cared for and treated as unique entities with physical, psychological, emotional, intellectual, social and spiritual needs requiring a comprehensive multi-professional approach in the provision of quality care.
- Health promotion, maintenance, disease and injury prevention are the rights of the individuals, families, and communities. The nursing profession empowers individuals to attain lifestyle activities leading to optimal levels of health and well-being.
- The educational system constituting teachers, students, programmes resources and facilities will undergo structured evaluation to ensure growth and development.
- The learners acquire and practice management and leadership skills to enhance their clinical performances and practice.